Most email service providers have the two step verification process for the security of the users. It is known that virtual users can access your email account and can compromise the security of your emails and important messages. That is what is prevented by the two step verification process. It is done by the use of password as well as verifying through phone. While password verification is standard procedure, verification via a phone number is a surer way of ensuring security of an email account.
Why Use The Two Step Verification Process
- It acts as an extra layer of security.
- The chances of getting personal information stolen from one’s account is reduced.
- The chances of getting through the two step verification process would be difficult. For that, the bad guys would need to know the username and password of your account as well as have access to your phone.
The Process Of Two Step Verification Process
Matt Cutts explain the process here, and us too. The two step verification process of Google is simple. Here are the steps:
- You need to start the login process.
- Enter the password as well as the code that is sent to your phone.
- This code will be sent as per the agreement formed between you and Google.
- You can choose to get the secret code by text, call or through the mobile app.
- During the sign in process you can instruct Google to not ask for the code again if you are using a particular computer.
- The codes will be asked for every time the account is accessed through any other computer.
When The Two Step Verification Gets Reactivated
This is how Google mail provides extra security for its users. It not only identifies a user with a password but also notes the IP address of the computer or the network that one logs in through. If this detail changes, the two step verification process is activated as a precautionary measure.
Risks To Email Accounts
Many people might find the two step verification process a bother. Indeed, till one experiences an account being vandalized or one’s identity being stolen, they will not realize the importance of the two step verification process. There are certain precautionary measures that are advised by Google mail. It asks its users to take care that the following mistakes are not committed:
- If the same password is used on more than one site.
- If links sent on email messages are clicked.
- Software is downloaded from the internet.
These are common actions that are performed by everyone who access email and use the internet for different purposes. They do not realize the risk they put their email account through every time they perform such actions. For the safety and security of the users, Gmail proposes the use of the two step verification process.